Use Thanksgiving; Staging a Home for a Cornucopia of Potential
Thanksgiving is right around the corner, but this doesn't mean that all home shopping has come to a halt. While the cold weather has left many potential buyers at home, those who are venturing out want to make it worth their while. If you’re a seller, this time of year provides a great opportunity for you to stand out from others.
So, how do you set yourself apart? Well… Since it’s almost Thanksgiving, this is a great time to take advantage of the opportunity to decorate and make your home a cornucopia of beauty. Still wondering how to properly stage so your home looks tasteful, warm, and displays potential? Here are a couple tips:
- Give them a Warm Welcome: Thanksgiving is a great time of year to bring some decorations outside. Decorate your front door with a nice autumn wreath or add some gourds to your front porch. Whatever the design ideas, if executed in good taste, outdoor decorations could offer a great first impression before potential buyers enter your home.
- Capture the Essence: Incorporate some scents into your staging, but try to tread lightly. Stay away from strong odors and try to choose just one scented candle or oil, rather than a mixture. Since Thanksgiving is your focus, it’s best to use a scent that warms the home and relaxes potential buyers.
- Set the Mood: If you have a fireplace, be sure to light a nice fire. Who doesn’t love walking into a home on a cold day, with a fire already lit for them? A warm fire could work with your scented candles and add to that “cozy” feeling everyone looks for in the colder months. You could also draw additional attention to the fire by adding some Thanksgiving flare to the mantle.
- Table Settings to Invite: For those who have Thanksgiving table settings: Why wait to set them out once a year? Setting the table for Thanksgiving will create some visual interest in the dining area and really set the stage for the holidays. You could also add a centerpiece in the form of a Thanksgiving bouquet that includes fall flowers, some grasses, and other colorful elements to really draw buyers into the setting you've created.
- Use Lighting: As the temperatures drop, daylight hours also decrease. This means many potential buyers will be viewing your home at night. The lack of daylight gives sellers a great opportunity to set the lighting to not only endorse the “cozy” mood, but also highlight positive aspects of the house.
When it comes to staging for Thanksgiving, everyone’s taste is different so it’s best to keep things simple. There’s no need to add holiday decorations in every room, but if you incorporate a couple of these tips, your home could display that “warm, cozy” atmosphere many people are looking to obtain this holiday season. If you’re looking to sell or want to speak with a mortgage professional, feel free to reach out to Union Home Mortgage today.
Digital Marketing & Content Specialist